Marantz HD-DAC1 - Headphone Amplifier/DAC/Preamp
About the Marantz HD-DAC1
Easy to Listen to, Tough to Describe
As a high-end DAC, this Marantz converts your digital music into a warm, detailed analog sound. As a high-performance headphone amplifier, it combines power and finesses to help any headphone sound its best. Finally, as a stereo preamp with volume control and a wireless remote, the HD-DAC1 can bring your music sources and your favorite power amp or active speakers together to create a killer sound system. In the end, we're going to leave it up to you to decide what to call this impressive, all-around performer.
A Bona Fide High-res All-star...
...that Can Make Your Headphones Sing
Audiophile DAC (CS4398): For optimum audio fidelity, the Marantz HD-DaC1 features a high-current, high-resolution audiophile DaC(CS4398) which can handle numerous sampling frequencies and bit depths, up to 192kHz/24-bits. A number of audio file types are supported, including WAV, WMA, MP3, AAC, FLAC, and ALAC; as well as DSD (2.8/5.8MHz).
Dual Clocks + Jitter Reduction: The HD-DAC1 is equipped with dual master audio clock generators with jitter reduction for high-resolution audio playback as the artist intended.
Noise Isolation: To safeguard quality when connected to a computer, Marantz built extended isolation around the unit's USB (type-B) input to eliminate the chance of high frequency noise generated by the computer entering the HD-DAC1.
HDAM & HDAM-SA2 Technology: The critical post-D/A current-to-voltage conversion is handled by the latest Marantz HDAM-SA2 devices, which feature precision discrete components in lieu of standard op amp chips. The final analog output stage features additional HDAM devices.
Gold-Plated Analog Outputs: The HD-DAC1 not only drives headphones, you can also directly connect it to your HiFi integrated amplifier or a pair of active speakers or power amp. It features a pair of fixed unbalanced RCA outputs and a pair of variable unbalanced RCA outputs. The RCA outputs are gold-plated for excellent signal transfer. The variable RCA outputs allow you to connect the Marantz HD-DAC1 directly to an external power amplifier and control the volume from the HD-DAC1
Rugged Chassis: The solid aluminum front-panel is supported by a double-layer bottom plate to prevent any unwanted resonance that could lead to distortion. Retro-style side panels add to its classic look and sound.
Variety Of Sources
- Windows 7, 8, or 8.1; If you are using a Windows computer then you must download a dedicated USB driver from the Marantz website.
- Mac OSX 10.6.3 or later; Mac computers work without any additional driver needed.
- Audio Playback: You can listen to stored music and music apps from your USB connected iPod, iPhone, or iPad through the Marantz Headphone Amplifier & DAC.
- Music Navigation: You can choose to operate your connected iPod/iPhone from the included remote control, or from your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen. The Marantz HD-DAC1 lets you browse by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, or Audiobook. It also offers Play/Pause, Stop, Skip/Back, Repeat, and Random functions.
- Music Information Display: The Marantz Headphone Amp & DAC will display Track #, Elapsed playing time; as well as Song, Artist, and Album name. You can also choose to view the music information on your iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- Charging: The HD-DAC1 will charge (5V/1A) your USB-connected iPod or iPhone when the Headphone Amp & DAC is powered up or in standby mode. This unit does not charge the iPad.
Aux Input: In addition, the Marantz HD-DAC1 is fitted with a stereo minijack (3.5mm) input for the connection of an analog audio device.
IR Remote Control: The Marantz HD-DAC1 includes an IR remote control for wireless operation of the headphone amplifier & DAC, stored music files on your computer, and a connected USB device or iPod/iPhone.
Remote In/Out: These RCA input/output connectors allow you to connect the HD-DAC1 to a Marantz component equipped with remote control (RC-5) terminals.
Auto Standby: This unit will automatically switch to the "Standby" mode when there is no input signal and no operation for approximately 30 minutes.
1-year Manufacturer's Warranty
- Plays PCM digital audio sources up to 24-bit/192kHz
- The back-panel USB port allows decoding of Direct Stream Digital (DSD) files at 2.8MHz or 5.6MHz resolution
- Front-panel USB input plays USB memory devices (MP3/WMA/AAC/WAV) and iPod®/iPhone®
- High-performance 24-bit/192kHz Cirrus Logic CS4398 digital-to-analog converter for precise playback of digital music files
- Built-in high-performance headphone amplifier with front-panel volume control
- Three-position gain switch optimizes performance with low-, medium-, and high-impedance headphones
- Preamp mode with fixed and variable RCA outputs for connection to an outboard power amp or self-amplified speakers
- Asynchronous USB technology for reduced timing jitter and better sound on USB input
- Jitter remover and dual master clocks used to minimize jitter
- Marantz HDAM® (Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Module) and HDAM-SA2 modules used in analog circuitry for faster signal transfer and better transient response
- Ground isolator for USB DAC mode operation eliminates noise from a computer connection
- Vibration-resistant solid aluminum front panel and double-layer bottom plate
- Simulated wood-grain side panels for a cool retro look
- Wireless remote
- Rear-panel USB (Type B) port for connection to a computer
- Front-panel USB (Type A) port for connecting USB memory devices and iPod/iPhone
- Optical digital audio (2)
- Coaxial digital audio
- Minijack (3.5mm) analog audio
- Fixed line-level stereo RCA audio
- Variable line-level stereo RCA audio
- Full-size 1/4" headphone jack (compatible with headphones up to 600 ohms impedance)
- RCA remote control input/output (for use with Marantz components with a compatible remote control in/out jack)
Other Info & Specs:
- Supported sample rates for rear-panel USB input: up to 24-bit/192kHz PCM; 2.8MHz (DSD64) and 5.6MHz (DSD128)
- Supported files and bit rates for front-panel USB input: MP3 (up to 48kHz; 32-320kbps), WMA (up to 48kHz; 48-320kbps), AAC (up to 48kHz; 64-192kbps), WAV (up to 48kHz/16-bit)
- Supported sample rates for coaxial and optical inputs: up 24-bit/192kHz PCM
- Recommended operating systems: Windows® Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Mac® OS X® 10.6.3 or later
- USB Audio 2.0 driver required for high-resolution audio playback on Windows computers (free USB driver download available from Marantz's website)
- Headphone amplifier power output: 800mW into 32 ohms
- Frequency response: 2-50,000 Hz (-3 dB)
- THD: 0.0012% (at 1kHz)
- Signal-to-noise ratio: 106 dB
- Channel separation: 100 dB
- Detachable AC power cable
- 9-7/8"W x 3-9/16"H x 12-3/8"D
- Weight: 4.98kg
- If connecting to a TV, please make sure you can select the "PCM" output in your TV's audio menu. This DAC cannot decode multi-channel Dolby® Digital signals.
What's in the Box:
- Headphone Amp/DAC
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (RC001HD)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 46" USB-B to USB-A cable
- 58" Stereo RCA cable
- 29" Mono-RCA remote cable
- Owner's Manual on CD-ROM
- Quick Start Guide
- Safety Instructions
- Warranty Information (US)
- Warranty Information (CA)