ELAC Debut IC-DT61-W In-Ceiling Speaker
About the ELAC Debut IC-DT61-W
Angled Design Brings The Sound To You
This speaker's 30°-angled drivers direct sound down and forward, toward your listening position. It makes the movie's soundtrack feel like it's coming from the action unfolding on the screen, instead of several feet above it.
Build a Complete In-ceiling System
Adaptable to Your Décor
If this is a do-it-yourself install, check out our guide to installing in-wall and in-ceiling speakers, along with our selection of in-wall speaker wire.
Warranty: 3-year Manufacturer's Warranty
- Drivers are angled at 30° to direct sound towards your listening position
- Ideal for the front left, right, or center channel of an in-ceiling home theater system
- 1" soft dome tweeter
- 6-1/2" aramid-fiber woofer
- Frequency response: 45-20,000 Hz
- Recommended amplifier power: 30-120 watts
- Sensitivity: 89 dB
- Impedance: 6 ohms
- Includes magnetic paintable grille
- Speaker cutout diameter: 9-9/16"
- Overall diameter: 10-7/16"
- Mounting depth: 6-13/16"
- Weight: 3.32kg.
What's in the Box:
- ELAC Debut IC-DT61-W Owner's Manual
- In-ceiling speaker
- Cutout Template
- Operating Instructions
Angled Woofer & Tweeter: One of the main challenges during installation is to overcome the narrow directivity of the woofer and tweeter by trying to aim the in-ceiling speaker towards the listener. Some speakers simply provide a swiveling tweeter that can be rotated through a narrow range to ""aim" it at the listener. The typical range provided in practice produces almost no change in the sound balance and does nothing to address the directivity of the woofer. The ELAC IC-DT61-W is designed so that both the woofer and tweeter are mounted at a 30° angle that allows the sound to be better directed toward the listening area.
Two-Way Driver Design: The Elac Debut IC-DT61-W in-ceiling loudspeaker features a two-way driver design with a 1" tweeter, one 6.5" woofer, and a 3,000Hz crossover. Both the tweeter and woofer have been custom designed by Andrew Jones to deliver an exceptional audio experience that can't be delivered with typical off-the-shelf parts.
- Cloth Dome Tweeter w/ Wave Guide: The Elac Debut IC-DT61-W features a 1" cloth dome tweeter with a custom-designed waveguide with a deep spheroid profile. This waveguide design is utilized to improve directivity control and shield the tweeter from baffle diffraction.
- Dual Woven-Aramid Fiber Woofer: The in-ceiling speaker features a single 6.5" woven aramid-fiber cone woofer with rubber surround, oversized magnet, and vented pole piece. Woven aramid fiber offers a superior stiffness-to-weight ratio and damping over common polypropylene or paper cones. The added strength allows more flexibility in design to achieve a smoother, extended frequency response.
- Custom Crossover: A custom seven-element crossover (3,000Hz) with audio-grade components is implemented to ensure a smooth transition between the tweeter and woofer.
Spring-Post Speaker Terminals: The Elac Debut IC-DT61-W in-ceiling loudspeaker is outfitted with spring-post terminals to attach your in-ceiling speaker wire. The spring-post speaker terminals will accommodate up to 14AWG speaker wire. The terminals will also support single banana plugs. For shorter distances up to 25', 18AWG speaker wire will be sufficient. For longer distances, 16AWG speaker wire should be used.
Note: Do not use nails, staples or other metal objects to secure the speaker wire. The resulting short-circuit could affect your system's performance & could also damage components in your system, especially the amplifier. To minimize interference & external hum keep the speaker wires away from other electrical wires and cables.
In-ceiling Installation: The Elac Debut IC-DT61-W mounts in a 9.5" (diameter) round cutout opening in your ceiling with a mounting depth of 6.8125". Use the included template for a proper cut-out of drywall. Your ceiling needs to be 0.25" to 0.75" thick. Allow at least 1.5" of clearance between the ceiling cut-out and any studs or joists. Four "dog-ear" clamps secure the speaker to the ceiling.
- Do not install the speaker near any heat sources such as radiators, heating valves, stoves or apparatus (including amplifiers), or in areas where there is a risk of explosion.
- Do not install the speaker near transformers. EMF fields can cause unwanted noise.
- Do not install the speaker in locations that are extremely humid, exceptionally hot, cold or prone to vibrations.
- Speakers should be mounted at least 2' from the corners of the room or ceiling.
- Mounting a speaker too near the corner of the room will increase the low-frequency response, causing an unnatural "boominess" in the affected frequencies.