Yamaha Musiccast Bar Yas-408 Powered Sound Bar With Wi-fi®, Bluetooth®, And Wireless Subwoofer
Active Soundbar Speaker:
- The Yamaha MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) active soundbar speaker features a 2ch driver configuration with one 1" dome tweeter and two 1.75" mid-woofers for each of the left & right channels (for a total of two 1" tweeters and four 1.75" mid-woofers).
- The active soundbar speaker utilizes a 50 watt x 2 channel amplifier to power the enclosed drivers for a 100 watts of total power.
Wireless Powered Subwoofer:
- The Yamaha MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) includes a wireless powered subwoofer that features a side-firing 6.25" woofer powered by a built-in 100 watt amplifier for dynamic bass response.
- A front-firing port aids in deeper, bigger bass response. Since the powered sub is wireless, you don't have to connect a cable between the soundbar and the sub (you still will need to plug the sub's AC power cord into a wall).
- The powered sub's wireless range is 33'
Dolby Digital & DTS Compatible:
- The Yamaha MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) soundbar decodes 2ch PCM, multi-channel PCM, Dolby Digital, & DTS audio signals.
- You can listen to these audio formats in a virtual surround mode or a 2ch stereo mode.
- The 2ch stereo mode is ideal for music, while the virtual surround mode provides a much more immersive soundfield for movies.
DTS Virtual:X + 3D Surround:
- The Yamaha MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) can deliver immersive 3D surround sound, simulating sound effects that seem to move around the listener and even have a sense of height.
- Thanks to DTS Virtual:X & 3D Surround the MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) allows surround sound to be heard not only from horizontal directions, but also from varying heights.
- DTS Virtual:X can be used with any content (from 2ch to 5.1ch soundtracks), while delivering virtual height & virtual surround processing based on psychoacoustics (not reflective surfaces).
- Ideal for use with any multichannel content (including DTS- and Dolby-encoded soundtracks) it creates more spacious, lifelike sound for all of your favorite TV shows, movies and games.
- The Yamaha MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) offers a variety of audio settings to enhance your listening experience, so you can enjoy your movies and music even more.
- From Yamaha's free MusicCast Controller app on your Apple iOS or Android device you can select between different surround modes - TV Program, Stereo, Movie, Music, Sports, & Game. Or, you can simply select a 2ch stereo mode.
- Clear Voice raises the level of dialog and narrations while maintaining overall sound quality.
- Movies and TV shows, sports commentary and news broadcasts are more clearly audible.
- Yamaha's exclusive Bass Extension technology boosts the bass from the wireless powered sub to produce a bigger, fuller sound. You an also adjust the wireless powered subwoofer's volume level independently from the system's overall volume.
Compressed Music Enhancer:
- The Compressed Music Enhancer restores frequency response lost during digital compression, so your music sounds the way it should. Optimized for Bluetooth audio transmission, you'll enjoy vivid, lively sound quality during wireless playback.
- When a compressed source is played, the Compressed Music Enhancer engages automatically.
- You can combine the MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) with a pair of MusicCast 20 (WX-021) speakers, a pair of MusicCast 50 (WX-051) speakers, or a single MusicCast50 (WX-051) speaker and enjoy the convenience of creating a home theater system with wireless rear speakers in a 4.1-channel configuration.
- From the MusicCast Controller app you can adjust the distance and level of each surround speaker.
- The MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) and the MusicCast 20 (WX-021) or MusicCast 50 (WX-051) speakers must be on the same wireless network.
Analog & Digital Audio Inputs:
- The Yamaha MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) is outfitted with both analog & digital audio inputs to connect to your TV.
- There is one optical (toslink) digital input that supports 2Ch PCM, 5.1ch Dolby Digital, and 5.1ch DTS audio signals (up to 24-bit/32-48kHz).
- There is also one stereo minijack (3.5mm) audio input for televisions without an optical digital out.
- The digital optical output terminals of some flat-panel TVs only send an audio signal in 5.1ch when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blue-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
- The Yamaha MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) offers built-in Bluetooth 4.2 for wireless music streaming (A2DP) & control (AVRCP).
- This allows you to stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content on your Bluetooth-enabled source devices (such as your smartphone, tablet, desktop computer, or laptop) to the MusicCast WX-021 speaker. The speaker has a wireless Bluetooth range of approximately 33'.
SBC + AAC Codecs:
- In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) speaker offers support of AAC.
- By supporting AAC, the MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iOS device.
- The MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) can be paired with multiple Bluetooth source devices, but only one device can be connected and used at a time.
- If one or Bluetooth devices had been connected to the speaker before, the speaker will automatically connect to the last connected device when Bluetooth is enabled.
Linked Playback Mode:
- With Linked Playback Mode, music streamed via Bluetooth to one MusicCast device can then be wirelessly streamed to multiple MusicCast devices for multiroom audio.
- Bluetooth is limited to the SBC codec during Linked Playback mode.
- The MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for making and answering phone calls.
ARC (Audio Return Channel):
- This feature of the Yamaha MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408)'s HDMI output allows audio to be sent from your compatible TV to the soundbar through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your TV.
- This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
- The ARC-enabled HDMI input on some TVs will only pass 2ch PCM from devices connected to the TV via HDMI or analog, so we recommend that you connect your Blu-ray player or Satellite/Cable box to the Yamaha soundbar directly;and then connect the MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408)'s ARC-enabled HDMI output to your TV's ARC-enabled HDMI input.
- This setup will give you with the best overall sound performance.
- The Yamaha MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) is outfitted with one HDMI input and one HDMI ARC output that support the latest HDMI 2.0b specifications; including 4K/60Hz, HDCP 2.2, HDR (High Dynamic Range), 4:4:4 color subsampling, & Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020) for full support of today's 4K content from Ultra HD Blu-ray & online video services (like Amazon & Netflix).
4K/60Hz + HDCP 2.2:
- The MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) supports up to 4K (3840x2160 pixels) video @ 60 frames per second through its HDMI input and output.
- It also supports a 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p video signal. The HDMI input and output also support HDCP 2.2, which fully complies with the latest copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission.
4:4:4 Color Subsampling:
- In addition, the HDMI input and output support RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2, and YCbCr 4:2:0 color subsampling (@ 60Hz or 50Hz).
- With 4:4:4 color subsampling, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate; resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail.
Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020):
- The BT.2020 color standard delivers a much wider color gamut and represents about 75% of the total visual color spectrum, while the current Rec.
- 709 color standard selected as the color space for HDTVs and early generation 4K Ultra HDTVs covers only 35% of the total visual color spectrum.
HDR (High Dynamic Range):
- The Yamaha MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) supports HDR (high dynamic range) Video - including HDR 10, Dolby Vision, and Hybrid Log-Gamma.
- HDR (High Dynamic Range Video) provides enhanced picture quality by simultaneously enabling greater detail for both the dark and bright parts of an image.
- HDR reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, creating greater contrast.
- This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth.
- HDR 10 is an open standard and currently the most popular HDR format on the market.
- It uses static metadata at the start of a movie to tell the soundbar system and your TV that the video content is encoded using HDR.
- HLG (Hybrid-Log Gamma) is primarily designed for live video feed and over-the-air broadcasts.
- It uses no pre-encoded metadata and is backwards compatible with SDR.
- HLG's native compatibility allows much of today's existing SDR infrastructure to be re-used for HDR in the future.
- Unlike HDR 10 which contains static metadata and HLG which uses no metadata, Dolby Vision uses dynamic metadata technology which sets individual color and brightness levels for each and every scene.
- Dolby works directly with filmmakers at major Hollywood studios to create superior HDR video masters of blockbuster movies.
Other HDMI Features:
- The Yamaha MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) also offers 3D video pass-through, Deep Color & x.v.Color support, as well as an auto LipSync function via HDMI.
- The MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) soundbar supports 3D video pass-through (720p/1080p only) from connected 3D-compatible Blu-ray, games and broadcast devices to 3D-compatible HDTVs (all 3D components must be connected via HDMI).
- Special eyewear will be required for viewing 3D content.
Deep Color & x.v.Color:
- The soundbar's HDMI jacks support Deep Color & x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes.
- The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture.
- The soundbar speaker system automatically adjusts the delay in output timing between video signals and audio signals so they match when you are watching a movie.
- You can also manually adjust the audio delay between 0 to 500 ms.
Wireless Multiroom AudioMusicCast:
- The Yamaha MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) is part of Yamaha's MusicCast multiroom audio eco-system.
- MusicCast from Yamaha, brings music to every room in your home wirelessly with control provided by the free MusicCast Controller app for Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 4.1+. Designed to easily work with your existing home WiFi network, MusicCast offers access to a wide range of audio content from your downloaded music library, Internet radio, and select online music services.
- MusicCast is enabled on many 2015-up Yamaha components like their AV receivers, wireless speakers, soundbars, and other HiFi components.
- With MusicCast you can choose to build a wireless or wired network, or a combination of both if desired.
- The Yamaha MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) supports both wireless and wired network connectivity through its built-in dual-band (2.4/5GHz) WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac) and wired Ethernet (RJ-45) port.
- Network setup is completed through the free MusicCast Controller app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device.
- If you want to install a MusicCast device to a location that is out of range of your wireless router, connect another MusicCast device to the router with a network cable to extend the range ("Extend Mode").
- The MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) supports true high-resolution audio formats to deliver more accurate reproduction of sonic details.
- The MusicCast eco-system is compatible with high resolution FLAC, AIFF and WAV music files up to 192kHz/24-bit; as well as Apple Lossless (ALAC) up to 96kHz/24-bit. It also supports lower resolution music files like MP3, WMA, and AAC up to 48kHz.
- MusicCast and the free MusicCast Controller app for (Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 4.1+) offers access to a wide variety of Internet radio and online streaming services - including Airable by TuneIn, Pandora, TIDAL, Spotify, SiriusXM, Deezer, and Napster.
- You can listen to Internet radio stations using Airable by TuneIn.
- Search worldwide internet radio content by Genre, Language, Location, Quality, Popularity, or do a keyword search.
- Pandora is personalized radio that plays music and comedy you'll love.
- Just start with the name of one of your favorite artists, songs, comedians or composers and Pandora will create a custom station that plays similar tracks.
- You can also rate (thumbs up/thumbs down) songs as they play, and Pandora will adapt stations to your feedback.
- You can even bookmark stations and easily switch between favorites.
- Tidal is a global streaming service that offers over 30 million songs in high-fidelity CD sound quality.
- TIDAL has two pricing tiers; either $9.99 or $19.99 a month. Both pricing levels allow you to access TIDAL's entire music library.
- The $19.99 tier has the added benefit of high-fidelity sound at CD-level quality.
- Spotify Connect enables Spotify Premium users to instantly select and wirelessly stream music to the MusicCast speaker from within the Spotify app (Apple iOS or Android).
- Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting).
- Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends.
- You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
- SiriusXM Internet Radio lets you listen to over 120 channels of commercial-free music, talk radio, news, sports, entertainment, and more. Subscription fees will apply.
- Napster is a streaming music subscription service (starting a $10 per month) that allows you to play the full-length songs you choose on demand from a collection of over 10 million songs, without ads and without having to purchase or download the music.
- Deezer is an online music service offering over 43 million tracks starting at $9.99 a month.
- Discover the perfect playlist or make your own, as well as browse curated collections by genre.
- Start with the Yamaha MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) in your living room or bedroom and add other MusicCast products from Yamaha (like wireless speakers, AV receiver, and HiFi components) over time to create a multiroom audio, whole-house experience.
- Up to 10 MusicCast devices can be connected.
- You can play the same audio source throughout your home or different audio sources on grouped MusicCast components.
- All MusicCast music services (including Airable by TuneIn, Pandora, Tidal, Spotify, SiriusXM, Deezer, and Napster).
- Music libraries on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone running the MusicCast Controller app, as well as on your DLNA compliant computer, laptop, or NAS drive.
- Bluetooth audio (SBC codec only).
- Yamaha AV receivers, soundbars, and other Hi-Fi components which feature MusicCast offer multiroom streaming of connected external analog & digital sources - including HDMI, Optical/Coax, USB, RCA/Aux, and Phono inputs.
- A radio station from a MusiCast AV receiver's AM/FM tuner can even be distributed to multiple rooms.
- AirPlay cannot be multiroom distributed via MusicCast.
- Yamaha's new MusicCast system is not compatible with Yamaha's older MusicCAST system.
- The MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) speaker supports DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5, allowing access to DLNA-compatible Windows 7/8/10 computers (with Windows Media Player 11 or 12) and network attached storage (NAS) devices.
- You'll be able to wirelessly stream the music libraries on your computer, laptop, or NAS to the Yamaha MusicCast speaker system.
- Digital Rights Management (DRM) content cannot be played back.
- AirPlay lets you stream your favorite songs directly from your Apple iOS (4.3.3+) device or from your iTunes (10.2.2+) library on your Windows PC or Mac computer to the Yamaha MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) speaker, over your home's WiFi network connection.
- From your Apple iOS device you are able to stream stored music and music apps on your device to the Yamaha MusicCast speaker.
- From your Windows or Mac you can stream your stored iTunes music library on your computer to the MusicCast speaker system.
- AirPlay is not available for multiroom audio playback.
- Firmware updates for the MusicCast products can be made through their network connection and the MusicCast app on your Apple iOS or Android device.
- The app will notify you when a firmware update is available.
MusicCast Controller App:
- The free MusicCast Controller app for (Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 4.1+) will need to be downloaded on your compatible smartphone or tablet device.
- The MusicCast Controller app puts control of your whole home listening experience in the palm of your hand from your Apple iOS or Android device.
- You'll be able to quickly select the room or rooms you want to listen to music in, select the source or sources you want to listen to, browse music content from your music library and online music services, listen to Internet Radio, plus control music playback functions.
- Choose which room or rooms you want to listen to music in.
- You can select a different source for each room, group certain rooms together for playback of the same source, or link all rooms together so the same source is played back throughout the house.
- From the app you can select which source or sources you want to listen to.
- Choose from network-connected devices (such as your Apple iOS/Android device or DLNA server); select online music services, Internet Radio or Bluetooth, as well as analog & digital audio inputs (including HDMI).
- You can even select a AM/FM ratio station from a MusicCast AV receiver.
- You can browse music libraries from your network-connected devices; like your smartphone, tablet, computer, or laptop.
- You can also browse music content from select online music services and search Internet Radio stations from the MusicCast Controller app.
- You can also browse music files on your USB-connected thumbdrive.
Playback & Song/Artist Info:
- From the MusicCast Controller app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device you get Volume Up/Down, Play/Pause, and Previous/Next Track; as well as song/artist information and album art.
- Internet radio stations, content from select online music services, plus playlists and songs from your network-connected device's music library can be saved as "Favorites" for quick recall within the MusicCast Controller app. Up to 40 Favorites can be registered.
Personalization & Customization:
- With the app's unique personalization features, you can choose from preloaded room images or change the color of buttons to represent each room in the home, or even take pictures of their own home and assign the images to each button.
- The content source buttons can also be customized to rename, remove or reorder selections for easier operation.
- Alexa-enabled devices (sold separately - see Accessory Tab) are able to control key functions of a MusicCast system using voice commands.
- With Alexa voice control integration, all you have to do is ask.
- The MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) offers full compatibility with Amazon's range of voice control devices.
- Yamaha offers two Alexa Skill platforms that work hand-in-hand to give you a wide range of voice command possibilities, allowing you to control either a single MusicCast product or a whole MusicCast system.
- The MusicCast system and Alex-enabled devices must be on the same WiFi network.
MusicCast Smart Home Skill:
- The MusicCast Smart Home skill supports the most common, everyday voice commands you would use to control a single MusicCast speaker, AV receiver, or soundbar.
- These basic commands include power on/off, volume control, play/pause/skip/previous, mute/unmute and, input selection.
- This skill supports simple, Alexa-standardized commands such as "Alexa, volume up in the Kitchen."
- The MusicCast skill goes beyond the basics, giving you enhanced control of unique MusicCast functions such as room linking, multiple room control, playback of MusicCast Favorites/Playlists and more.
- The commands are customized for MusicCast, for example "Alexa, ask MusicCast to link the Kitchen with the Living Room."
Echo Source Input:
- In addition or alternatively, an Echo device can be used as a music/audio source for a MusicCast system.
- All MusicCast devices offer a Bluetooth input. Just pair your Echo device with any MusicCast wireless speaker, sound bar or AV receiver and the sound will play from the MusicCast device.
- Many MusicCast products also offer inputs which can be connected to Echo Dot via its line output, if a wired connection is preferred over Bluetooth.
- Using the MusicCast Controller app, you can select the Bluetooth or wired input and link multiple MusicCast devices for playback, allowing you to hear sound from Echo Dot throughout your home.
- Click here for a full list of commands.
- Yamaha will be adding more Alexa control features in 2018, including the ability to play a specific artist, album or song from select streaming services.
IR Remote + HDMI Control:
- The Yamaha MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) comes with an easy-to-use IR remote control for wireless operation of the soundbar speaker system.
- Also, if your TV supports HDMI CEC and uses HDMI connectivity, it is possible to control many functions of the soundbar system using your TV's remote to simplify day-to-day operation.
- HDMI Control functions include Power On/Off, Input Source Selection, and Volume Up/Down.
- This soundbar does not allow you to program your TV remote to operate the speaker, but does offer HDMI control through your compatible TV's remote.
- The Yamaha MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) features the following top-panel controls - Power On/Off, Input Select, Volume Up/Down, and Mute.
3 Preset (Favorite) Buttons:
- Three preset (favorite) buttons give you one-touch access to your music favorites (save a favorite music playlist, online music service, or Internet radio station).
- Simply press and hold the preset buttons (1/2/3) to store a music source.
- The 3 preset buttons are located on the IR remote control (not with top-panel controls).
Auto Power Standby:
- Enabling the Auto Power Standby function prevents the system from remaining on when not in use.
- The system will automatically turn off if there is no operation for 8 hours, or there is no audio input signal and no operation for 20 minutes.
Tabletop or Wall-Mount The Soundbar:
- At only 2.375" tall, the soundbar fits neatly in front of most TVs or can be placed on the shelf of a TV stand.
- The built-in keyholes (18" apart) make it easy to wall-mount with a sleek look that perfectly complements almost any flat-panel TV.
- Sound equalization is automatically adjusted for tabletop or wall mount orientation.
Flexible Placement for Wireless Sub:
- The wireless powered subwoofer eliminates the need to connect cables, so setup and placement are faster and easier.
- You will still need to connect the powered sub's power cord to an AC outlet.
- The wireless sub can be positioned almost anywhere in the room (up to 33'). For best performance, it should be placed on the same wall as the soundbar.
- The active soundbar speaker and wireless powered subwoofer will need to be plugged into an AC wall outlet, surge protector or power conditioner (sold separately).
- Each comes with a detachable 6' AC power cord.