Polk Audio DSW PRO 550 Powered Subwoofer With Remote Control
- The DSW PRO 550wi uses a 10" Dynamic Balance composite polypropylene cone driver for deep, accurate response with low distortion.
- For a smoother response and improved durability, the woofer utilizes a rubber surround.
Klippel Optimized Woofer :
- By using a state-of-the-art Klippel Distortion Analyzer, Polk Audio is able to optimize the woofer's motor structure, voice coil alignment and suspension for the best possible performance even at extreme listening levels.
Class D Amplifier :
- The subwoofer is powered by a high-current Class D amplifier producing 200 watts RMS power (400 watts Dynamic power) that supplies clean power for loud bass and a wide dynamic range necessary to recreate a life-like experience in your home.
- The efficiency of a Class D digital amplifier translates into high-power, and cool, reliable operation with low distortion.
Feed Forward Distortion Suppression Technology :
- This technology maximizes acoustic output as it reduces audible distortion.
- Feed Forward is a zero latency system that maximizes dynamic output of the subwoofer system without relying on slow responding feedback techniques.
- What you'll hear is quick, precise bass output with minimal audible distortion, even at loud volume levels.
- The DSW PRO 550wi features a bass-reflex enclosure with non-resonant MDF construction and internal bracing for deep bass impact with superior detail and accuracy.
- The subwoofer's enclosure's durable onyx black finish can be painted to match your room decor, if desired.
Downward Radiating Slot Port :
- The DSW PRO 550wi features a downward radiating slot port which lessens turbulence, noise and distortion.
- The result is deep, clean and accurate bass.
Video Shielded :
- The DSW PRO 550wi is magnetically shielded for placement near video monitors.
- You should still allow at least 18" of space between your subwoofer and any tube television.
- LCD, DLP and Plasma TVs are not affected by magnetism.
Frequency Response :
- The overall frequency response for the subwoofer is 23-160Hz, and the -3 dB frequency response is 30-125Hz.
Repositionable Feet :
- The DSW PRO 550wi features repositionable rubber or spike feet which allow you to orient the subwoofer on its "back" to turn it into a front-firing woofer when you want to hide the subwoofer away in cabinets.
- There is an optional woofer grille (item # 107DSW500G, sold separately) available when the subwoofer is used in a front firing application.
- The remote control may not operate when the subwoofer is placed in a cabinet with the driver facing into the room.
- If this occurs, adding an IR repeater will enable the remote control to communicate with the subwoofer.
IR Wireless Remote Control :
- The DSW PRO 550wi comes supplied with a credit card sized IR wireless remote control which operates the following subwoofer's controls - Volume, Mute, Phase, Night and Polk Room Optimizer.
- All commands are sent to the subwoofer via IR control.
- The IR receiver is located on the front of the subwoofer when the subwoofer is its downward firing configuration.
- There is a blue LED behind the woofer's logo badge which blinks to confirm the subwoofer has received and responded to the remote's instructions.
- The LED feature can be turned off.
- The subwoofers crossover setting must be set using the controls located on the rear panel of the woofer.
Polk Room Optimizer :
- The DSW PRO 550wi's remote control incorporates the Polk Room Optimizer (PRO) feature.
- The Polk Room Optimizer feature allows you to place the subwoofer where you want it in your listening room.
- Based upon the four most common room placements for subwoofers, the Polk Room Optimizer maximizes sound quality for you, smoothing out the bass response that a particular room placement creates.
- There are four push-button room equalization presets on the remote that correct for room boundary effects for typical room placements: "cabinet," "corner," "mid-wall," and "mid-room."
- The result is great bass performance no matter where you place your DSW PRO 550wi subwoofer.
- Night Mode compresses the dynamic range of the woofer's output, so you hear low-level bass detail at lower volumes.
Volume Control :
- The DSW PRO 550wi has a push button volume control to adjust the volume of the subwoofer relative to the other speakers in the system.
- The volume is adjustable from 0 to 40.
- The blue LED on the front panel will indicate the volume level using a combination of short and long blinks.
- The volume can also be adjusted using the supplied wireless remote.
- The subwoofer's IR wireless remote features a phase control which allows you to select 0-degrees (normal), 90-degrees, 180-degrees (reverse) or 270-degrees.
- This control enables the subwoofer to blend more seamlessly with your main speakers.
- If the bass sounds muddy or unclear, using the phase control can sometimes strengthen the bass "attack."
- The DSW PRO 550wi offers a continuously variable low-pass filter, adjustable from 60-120 Hz.
- The cut-off frequency must be manually set from the subwoofer's control panel.
- The subwoofer has a 3-way power switch on the rear panel.
- You can select "Auto", which turns the unit on automatically when an input signal is received and off 15 minutes after the signal stops; "On", which keeps the unit on and "Standby", which turns the unit off.
- The LED power indicator glows green when the unit is on, red when the unit is off and yellow during standby mode.
ConnectionsLFE (Unfiltered) Input:
- The DSW PRO 550wi has a gold-plated mono RCA LFE (Low Frequency Effects) input.
- This input should be used when connecting to a receiver with a filtered subwoofer output, such as those found on most home theater receivers (check the receiver's owner's manual).
- The LFE input bypasses the subwoofer's built-in low pass crossover.
- If the receiver's subwoofer output is unfiltered, you should use either the left or right Line Input of the subwoofer.
Line (Filtered) Inputs/Outputs:
- The subwoofer has gold plated left and right RCA Line Level inputs.
- The inputs are for use with electronics featuring unfiltered "Pre Out" jacks (Example: a separate pre-amp processor with a separate amplifier).
- It may require "Y adapters" to connect the left and right outputs of the pre-amp processor to both the subwoofer and the power amplifier.
- The line outputs allow you to send a filtered signal to a power amplifier to drive bookshelf speakers.
- The subwoofer has 5-way binding post connections for front speaker level input and output.
- The subwoofer's low-pass filter takes the low frequencies (based on the setting of the filter) and sends it to the subwoofer.
- The speaker level outputs send a filtered signal to your connected speakers.