Monitor Audio Gold Fx "Bipole"/"Dipole" Surround Speaker
Monopole or Dipole Mode:
- In monopole mode for discrete side or rear sound channels its front-firing 6.5" RST bass/mid-driver and C-CAM ribbon transducer deliver accurate ultra-wideband sound to match the tonal balance of any 'Gold' speaker combination.
- In dipole mode the Gold FX uses two pairs of side firing 4" C-CAM bass/mid drivers and 1" C-CAM gold-dome tweeters, combined with the tailored output from the front-firing bass/mid driver to provide wonderfully diffuse yet tonally precise surround effects.
- The drivers of the Gold series FX surround loudspeaker utilize Monitor Audio's proprietary C-CAM speaker technology.
C-CAM Ribbon Tweeter:
- Monitor Audio's proprietary ribbon tweeter design uses an ultra-thin sandwich of C-CAM alloy suspended in a powerful transverse magnetic field of high energy NeFeB rare earth magnets.
- The ribbon serves as both voice coil and radiating diaphragm, with every part of the ribbon driven directly and simultaneously without energy storage.
- Having a mass of just 18mg, its diaphragm is able to start and stop in an instant, producing a transient response capable of defining the leading edge and natural harmonic resonance of complex musical sounds.
- Specified to reach ultra-high frequencies, this ribbon tweeter will reproduce with ease every last nuance and detail from vinyl, CD, DVD Audio, and SACD, together with the wider bandwidth of Blu-ray or high resolution digital audio.
C-CAM Gold-Dome Tweeter:
- The gold dome tweeter is formed from a ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy, gold anodized to a specific thickness for ideal stiffness and damping characteristics.
- Its new profile and surround geometry have been developed using advanced modeling tools, to provide the optimum qualities for accurate sound reproduction.
- The new design moves the first order of breakup to beyond 35kHz, producing a linear response way beyond audibility, which matches the wide frequency bandwidth available from HD music and cinema sound formats.
- The gold dome is thinner, lighter, more rigid and therefore more efficient than domes made from other materials which are prone to distortion in the audio band.
C-CAM Cone Woofers:
- Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium is a material originally developed by the aerospace industry for jet engine components.
- Its properties are ideal for loudspeaker cones being extremely rigid, yet light enough to yield high overall efficiency.
- In manufacture, aluminum/magnesium alloy undergoes a three-stage stress-relieving process to remove surface deformation and molecular weakness.
- Once formed, the alloy cone is subjected to a high temperature anodic coating process in which a layer of pure ceramic alumina is depleted onto its surfaces to a depth of 50 microns, producing a completely rigid sandwich of alloy and heat-dissipating ceramic material.
- Conventional cones are liable to flex or twist in operation, producing a significant level of audible distortion.
- C-CAM cones have a much higher resistance to bending stress and therefore exhibit much greater fidelity over their entire operating range.
RST (Rigid Surface Technology):
- The Gold series FX surround speaker combines Rigid Surface Technology (RST) with its C-CAM cone woofer design for a stronger, lighter weight cone.
- The Rigid Surface Technology (RST) cone profile was inspired by the Japanese art of Origami, which demonstrates how a very light material (like paper) can be strengthened and made more rigid by making small and precise folds on it surface.
- Developed and perfect using sophisticated computer modeling (Finite Element Analysis), the Gold series midbass drivers have been strengthened by a pattern of dimples.
- RST significantly increases cone rigidity, allowing the radiating surfaces to resist mechanical bending forces, which can twist the shape of conventional driver cones to produce distorted sound.
- The strengthening effect of RST means that Monitor Audio can use thinner, lighter and more responsive C-CAM cones which provide speed and accuracy while offering greatly reduced distortion.
- The RST patterns also help to displace standing waves that can propagate on the cone's surface.
Single Through-Bolt Mount:
- The drivers are fixed to the cabinet with a single through-bolt driver fixing mount.
- This single-through-bolt mount design provides mechanical de-coupling and enhanced midband clarity and resolution.
- The through-bolts also act as rigid cross bracing to give a very solid non-resonant cabinet.
Sealed MDF Enclosure:
- The Gold FX employs a sealed MDF enclosure for accurate, uncolored sound.
- Rigid 20mm MDF construction is used throughout the enclosure with radial and cross-bracing techniques for high rigidity and low cabinet coloration.
High Quality Crossover & Wiring:
- The Gold FX uses a high quality crossover with premium grade polypropylene film capacitors.
- The speaker also utilizes "Pureflow" silver plated OFC copper internal cabling.
Dual Gold-Plated Binding Posts:
- The surround loudspeaker has two sets of gold-plated binding posts connected by wire-jumpers.
- The gold-plated binding posts will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin connectors, & banana plugs (single only).
- Using the dual posts, you can bi-wire or bi-amp the speaker. Bi-wiring or bi-amping the speaker provides improved bass & treble performance.
- If you decide to bi-wire or bi-amp, you must remove the jumpers between the terminal posts (failure to do this could result in damage to your amplifier and loudspeakers).
- Bi-wiring can provide noticeable improvements in the overall transparency of your loudspeakers.
- Run separate speaker wires to the low & high frequency drivers from a single amplifier (the upper set of binding posts are for the high frequency drivers; the lower set of binding posts are for the low frequency drivers).
- Bi-amping allows you to use separate amplifiers for the high & low frequency sections of your loudspeaker for greater dynamic range & lower distortion.
- We recommend that your separate amplifiers have identical gain to preserve the speaker's voicing balance.
- The Gold series FX surround loudspeaker offers unique controls to configure the speaker for your type of setup.
- This switch determines the actual mode of the Gold FX speakers. When part of 5.1 systems as a rear speaker, set the switch to monopole.
- If part of a 7.1 system as side speakers, set the switch to dipole. If using four Gold FX speakers (side & rear) set them all to dipole mode.
- This switch is used when determining the location of the Gold FX speakers. This will only make a difference when in 'di-pole' mode
Tweeter Attenuation Switch:
- This switch adjusts the level of the high frequency tweeter. In the middle position, there is no attenuation.
- Placed in the "-" position, the high frequencies will be attenuated by 3dB.
- Placed in the "+" position, the high frequencies will be boosted by 3dB.
- The Gold FX can be flush-mounted on side or rear walls.
- Installation is made easy by the inclusion of a wall-bracket, which allows leveling and adjustment prior to fixing.