Monitor Audio Gold C150 Center Channel Speaker
Two-Way Speaker Design:
- The Monitor Audio Gold series C150 center-channel loudspeaker employs a two-way driver design with a single C-CAM ribbon tweeter and two 5.5" C-CAM/RST midrange/midbass woofers.
- The midrange/midbass driver exhibits the low frequency extension and power handling of a much larger driver, while the C-CAM ribbon tweeter produces high frequencies (up to 60kHz) well beyond conventional domed tweeters.
- C-CAM driver technology is used throughout the Gold series C150 center-channel loudspeaker, providing coherent tonal balance and sonic signature across the entering audio frequency spectrum.
C-CAM Ribbon Tweeter:
- Monitor Audio's proprietary ribbon tweeter design uses an ultra-thin sandwich of C-CAM alloy suspended in a powerful transverse magnetic field of high energy NeFeB rare earth magnets.
- The ribbon serves as both voice coil and radiating diaphragm, with every part of the ribbon driven directly and simultaneously without energy storage.
- Having a mass of just 18mg, its diaphragm is able to start and stop in an instant, producing a transient response capable of defining the leading edge and natural harmonic resonance of complex musical sounds.
- Specified to reach ultra-high frequencies, this ribbon tweeter will reproduce with ease every last nuance and detail from vinyl, CD, DVD Audio, and SACD, together with the wider bandwidth of Blu-ray or high resolution digital audio.
C-CAM Cone Woofer:
- Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium is a material originally developed by the aerospace industry for jet engine components.
- Its properties are ideal for loudspeaker cones being extremely rigid, yet light enough to yield high overall efficiency.
- In manufacture, aluminum/magnesium alloy undergoes a three-stage stress-relieving process to remove surface deformation and molecular weakness.
- Once formed, the alloy cone is subjected to a high temperature anodic coating process in which a layer of pure ceramic alumina is depleted onto its surfaces to a depth of C150 microns, producing a completely rigid sandwich of alloy and heat-dissipating ceramic material.
- Conventional cones are liable to flex or twist in operation, producing a significant level of audible distortion.
- C-CAM cones have a much higher resistance to bending stress and therefore exhibit much greater fidelity over their entire operating range.
RST (Rigid Surface Technology):
- The Gold series center-channel speaker combines Rigid Surface Technology (RST) with its C-CAM cone woofer design for a stronger, lighter weight cone.
- The Rigid Surface Technology (RST) cone profile was inspired by the Japanese art of Origami, which demonstrates how a very light material (like paper) can be strengthened and made more rigid by making small and precise folds on it surface.
- Developed and perfect using sophisticated computer modeling (Finite Element Analysis), the Silver series midbass drivers have been strengthened by a pattern of dimples.
- RST significantly increases cone rigidity, allowing the radiating surfaces to resist mechanical bending forces, which can twist the shape of conventional driver cones to produce distorted sound.
- The strengthening effect of RST means that Monitor Audio can use thinner, lighter and more responsive C-CAM cones which provide speed and accuracy while offering greatly reduced distortion.
- The RST patterns also help to displace standing waves that can propagate on the cone's surface.
Single Through-Bolt Mount:
- The tweeter and woofers are fixed to the cabinet with single through-bolt driver fixing mounts.
- This single-through-bolt mount design provides mechanical de-coupling and enhanced midband clarity and resolution.
- The through-bolts also act as rigid cross bracing to give a very solid non-resonant cabinet.
MDF Curved Enclosure w/ Magnetic Grille:
- The C150 employs a MDF enclosure for accurate, uncolored sound.
- Rigid 20mm MDF construction is used throughout the enclosure with radial and cross-bracing techniques for high rigidity and low cabinet coloration.
- In addition, the curved cabinet profile aids in increased rigidity and reduced internal standing waves.
- In addition, the center-channel speaker comes with a magnetic grille.
High Quality Crossover & Wiring:
- The C150 uses a high quality crossover with premium grade polypropylene film capacitors.
- The speaker also utilizes "Pureflow" silver plated OFC copper internal cabling.
Dual Gold-Plated Binding Posts:
- The center-channel loudspeaker has two sets of gold-plated binding posts connected by wire-jumpers.
- The gold-plated binding posts will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin connectors, & banana plugs (single only).
- Using the dual posts, you can bi-wire or bi-amp the speaker.
- Bi-wiring or bi-amping the speaker provides improved bass & treble performance.
- If you decide to bi-wire or bi-amp, you must remove the jumpers between the terminal posts (failure to do this could result in damage to your amplifier and loudspeakers).
- Bi-wiring can provide noticeable improvements in the overall transparency of your loudspeakers.
- Run separate speaker wires to the low & high frequency drivers from a single amplifier (the upper set of binding posts are for the high frequency drivers; the lower set of binding posts are for the low frequency drivers).
- Bi-amping allows you to use separate amplifiers for the high & low frequency sections of your loudspeaker for greater dynamic range & lower distortion.
- We recommend that your separate amplifiers have identical gain to preserve the speaker's voicing balance.