Denon DRA-800H Stereo Receiver
High-Performance Discrete 2-Channel Amplifier:
- The Denon DRA-800H stereo network receiver features a custom, discrete high-current power amplifier with symmetrical design and an OFC (oxygen-free copper) winding power transformer.
- The DRA-800H delivers a 100 watts x 2 channels (into 8-ohms @ 20Hz-20kHz with 08% THD). With low impedance drive capability, it offers greater stability with a wide range of floorstanding and bookshelf loudspeakers for balanced, quality sound.
Experts Sound Engineering:
- Denon sound engineers use carefully selected HiFi parts, including custom resistors and audio grade capacitors, to tune the stereo receiver.
- Using the design principles found in Denon award-winning amplifiers, the DRA-800H features a symmetrical layout, double differential DAC circuit and analog preamp circuits that don't interfere with the power supply.
- The dedicated circuitry with its short, straight paths between the power supply, signal and amplification ensure your loudspeakers drive detailed and precise imaging.
High-Resolution Audio Dual DAC Differential Circuitry:
- The DRA-800H is equipped with two AKM 32-bit D/A converters featuring high-resolution audio decoding with multiple lossless file types.
- This premium DAC from AKM delivers amazing stereo imaging and detail. By assigning two DACs per channel including, you'll hear increased dynamic range and improved signal-to-noise.
- Compatible high resolution music file types include ALAC, FLAC and WAV at up to 24-bit/196kHz.
- It's also compatible with 2.8/5.6-MHz DSD files (DSD is the audio coding format of SACD).
- Play them from memory devices via the front-panel USB or over network sources.
- The DRA-800H also supports low-res compressed music file types, such as MP3 and WMA. Thanks to its dual DAC differential circuit, the DR-A800H lets you enjoy superb audio fidelity from all your favorite audio tracks.
- In addition to stereo playback, the Denon DRA-800H offers two Direct Listening Modes which bypass the receiver's tone & DSP processing for higher sound quality performance.
- Sound is output from the front left and right speakers, as well as the powered subwoofer, with digital signal processing and tone control.
- Direct Mode provides playback of 2ch audio in its original form, without any digital signal processing or tone control.
- Pure Direct Mode goes a step further by turning off the receiver's DSP, tone control, display and analog video circuitry to minimize the possibility of any noise being added to the audio signal.
Note: The DR-A800H is not compatible with Dolby Digital, DTS, or other multichannel surround formats.
Compressed Audio Restorer:
- Compressed audio formats such as MP3, WMA (Windows Media Audio), and MPEG-4 AAC reduce the amount of data by eliminating signal components that are hard for the human ear to hear.
- The Restorer function generates the signals eliminated upon compression, restoring the sound to conditions near those of the original sound before compression.
- It also corrects the sense of volume of the bass to obtain richer sound with compressed audio signals.
- The Denon DRA-800H provides a Test Tone to help you setup the output level of your connected loudspeakers.
- While listening to the Test Tone, you can adjust the output level (-12 to +12dB) of the left and right speakers.
- You can also adjust the receiver's subwoofer output level (-12 to + 12dB); as well as the the subwoofer output's Low Pass Filter (40, 60, 80, 90, 100, 110, 120, 150, 200, or 250Hz). In addition, you can set the distance (0 to 60') between the speakers and subwoofer from your main listening position.
Note: This receiver does not offer auto speaker calibration and room correction.
Tone & Balance Control:
- The Denon DRA-800H offers Bass & Treble control, along with balance adjustment.
- You'll be able to adjust Bass & Treble from -6dB to +6DB, as well as adjust the balance in sound output between the connected left and right speakers.
Volume & Level Settings:
- The Denon DRA-800H stereo receiver offers the following volume & level settings.
- You can choose to display an Absolute volume scale (0-98) or Relative volume scale (-79.5 to 18dB). You can also set a maximum volume level of 0 (80), -10 (70), or -20 (60) dB to limit the receiver's total volume output.
- In addition, you can define the volume setting that is active when the power is turned on; select "Mute", -79 to +18dB (1-98), or Last. Volume settings can be adjusted independently for the Main Zone and Zone 2.
- You can set the amount of attenuation for the audio muting circuit; -40dB or -20dB below current volume, or full mute (sound turned off entirely).
- This function adjusts the playback level of the currently selected input source's audio input.
- Use this feature if there are differences in the input volume levels between different sources. You can correct the playback level of the audio input from -12 to +12dB.
Analog & Digital Audio Inputs:
- The Denon DRA-800H is outfitted with both analog & digital audio inputs - including HDMI inputs, optical/coaxial digital inputs, as well as line-level and phono analog inputs.
- The five HDMI inputs only support 2ch PCM audio up to 24-bit/192kHz (not compatible with Dolby Digital or DTS).
Optical & Coaxial Digital Inputs:
- The stereo receiver is equipped with two optical (toslink) digital inputs and one coaxial (RCA) digital input that support up to 24-bit/192khz 2ch PCM audio (not compatible with Dolby Digital or DTS).
- There are two line-level analog inputs for connecting an external CD player or tape deck.
- The Denon DRA-800H is outfitted with a Phono input (MM), so you can connect your turntable and listen to your vinyl records with high-quality sound.
- The Denon DRA-800H stereo receiver features speaker A/B terminals, dual sub outputs, a HDMI ARC output, and front-panel headphone jack.
Speaker A/B Terminals:
- The receiver is equipped with speaker A/B terminals for connecting up to two pair of loudspeakers or bi-wiring a single pair of loudspeakers.
- These binding-post terminals can accept bare wire, pin connectors, and banana plugs (single/dual).
- When connecting one pair of loudspeakers to the Speaker A terminals, the receiver will accept impedances of 4 to 16-ohm.
- \When connecting two pair of speakers to the Speaker A & B terminals or when bi-wiring a single pair of loudspeakers with the Speaker A & B terminals, the receiver will support impedances of 8 to 16-ohm. There is an impedance setting in the on-screen menu.
Dual Sub Outputs:
- For compatibility with dual subwoofer systems, the DRA-800H features two non-discrete subwoofer outputs.
- With dual subwoofers, which can be placed in different parts of the room, you'll benefit from response averaging, which helps provide smoother and more detailed deep bass,
- compared to a conventional single subwoofer speaker system. The same signal is output from each sub output.
ARC (Audio Return Channel):
- This feature of the DRA-800H's HDMI monitor output allows audio to be sent from your compatible TV to the receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your TV.
- This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television. Only the 2ch PCM setting can be used to play sound from a TV via the ARC function (the receiver does not support eARC).
- When headphones are plugged into the full-size 1/4" jack on the front panel, all the speakers are automatically muted.
- Featuring five HDMI inputs and one HDMI output, the DRA-800H incorporates an advanced video section that features the latest HDMI 2.0a specification, including support for 4K/60 Hz Ultra-HD video, BT.2020 Wide Color Gamut, High Dynamic Range (HDR), & 4:4:4 Pure Color sub-sampling, along with support for 3D content.
- The DRA-800H also features HDCP 2.3 compatibility, which is the latest 4K Ultra HD copyright protection standard.
4K/60Hz + HDCP 2.3:
- The DRA-800H's HDMI inputs and monitor output support up to 4K (3840x2160 pixels) video @ 60 frames per second. All of the HDMI jacks support HDCP 2.3, which fully complies with the latest copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission.
- The receiver will also pass a 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p video signals via HDMI.
4:4:4 Color Subsampling:
- The HDM inputs and monitor output support RGB (up to 12-bit/30fps or 8-bit/60fps); YCbCr 4:4:4 (up to 12-bit/30fps or 8-bit/60fps), YCbCr 4:2:2 (up to 12-bit/60fps), and YCbCr 4:2:0 (up to 12-bit/60fps) color subsampling.
- The front-panel HDMI only supports 4K 60/50Hz using format YCbCr 4:2:0 only.
- With 4:4:4 color subsampling, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate; resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail.
Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020):
- The BT.2020 color standard delivers a much wider color gamut and represents about 75% of the total visual color spectrum, while the current Rec. 709 color standard selected as the color space for HDTVs and early generation 4K Ultra HDTVs covers only 35% of the total visual color spectrum.
- Use a premium high-speed 18Gbps HDMI cable for the best 4K/HDR performance.
- Make sure the receiver's 4K Signal Format in the on-screen menu is set to "Enhanced" for playback of 4:4:4, 10-bit, and/or 12-bit 4K video.
- This stereo receiver is not equipped with an analog video inputs or outputs.
HDR (High Dynamic Range):
- The Denon DRA-800H supports HDR (high dynamic range) Video - including HDR 10 and Hybrid Log-Gamma.
- HDR provides enhanced picture quality by simultaneously enabling greater detail for both the dark and bright parts of an image. HDR reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, creating greater contrast.
- This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth.