Definitive Technology SuperCube 8000 Powered Subwoofer
Definitive Technology SuperCube Powered Sub:
- The Definitive Technology SuperCube 8000 is a compact, high-quality powered subwoofer intended for use in a music or home theater system.
- The SuperCube 8000 powered subwoofer allows for easy, seamless integration into almost any two-channel or multichannel speaker system; delivering true, accurate, & extremely deep bass in any room.
- The Definitive Technology SuperCube 8000 features a 1500-watt digital amplifier, 56-bit DSP, 11" woofer with dual 12" passive radiators, & an included wireless remote control.
- The SuperCube 8000 is finished in a piano-gloss black lacquer finish with a black non-removable cloth grille.
1500W Digital Tracking Amplifier:
- The Definitive Technology SuperCube 8000 features a 1500-watt (RMS) digital tracking amplifier that is optimized for real world power demands to deliver low distortion & high output.
- As well as producing high continuous power to cleanly reproduce sustained bass (down to 12 Hz), this all-new Definitive Technology digital amp has a high crest factor to deliver considerably higher power during short, transient peaks such as bass drum kicks & on-screen artillery blasts.
- You'll enjoy high volume, high impact, & low distortion bass from your favorite action/adventure films & TV shows without sacrificing the smooth response & quick precision needed for music.
- As well as being powerful, the new Definitive Technology digital amp is environment-friendly.
- The amplifier goes into idle mode after less than 30 minutes of no audio signal.
- When in idle mode the amp draws a mere 1/2 Watt or less of current, meeting international standards for low energy consumption.
56-Bit Digital Signal Processor (DSP):
- The Definitive Technology SuperCube 8000 has an integrated 56-bit Digital Signal Processor (DSP) that extends & improves the bass response.
- Multiband digital protection systems tightly monitor & control the woofer system to prevent distortion & woofer damage at ultra-high volume levels with a minimum of audible artifacts.
- In contrast to simpler one-band compression/limiting circuits used in competing subwoofer amp designs, the Definitive Technology SuperCube 8000 features a Multiband Dynamic Range Optimizer (M-DRO) that divides the frequency range into multiple bands.
- If the DSP detects an overdrive condition in the upper bass range, it applies just the right amount of compression & to prevent distortion to just that range without compressing the low bass, thereby vastly reducing the audible compression artifacts.
- As a result, the SuperCube 8000's bass is always tight, highly detailed, & distortion free.
High Definition Drivers:
- The powerful, high-definition drivers used in the new SuperCubes were specifically engineered for their task: to deliver rock-solid low distortion bass, reaching down to the lowest frequencies (10-200Hz), with an outstanding quality of superior transient response ("tightness").
- The special ultra-stiff cones are joined to specially formulated surrounds & long-throw voice coils & spiders.
- The incredibly rigid cast aluminum baskets are engineered to hold the massive magnet structures & large voice coils in absolute alignment.
- The high temperature voice coils are made of aluminum wound with triple insulated ultra-pure copper wire & baked in epoxy for superior power handling & reliability.
Passive Radiator Design:
- The SuperCube 8000 features an 11" subwoofer driver pressure coupled to two 12" Ultra Low Bass Radiators.
- The total piston area is greater than a 18" diameter woofer but with far greater speed, musicality, & control than a single large diameter woofer could ever deliver.
- The cabinet of a loudspeaker plays a large part in its sonic performance. Resonance & vibration can add unwanted distortion as well as drain away important acoustical energy from the system.
- Definitive's subwoofer enclosures have been specifically engineered to be totally inert & vibration free, to ensure you of absolutely pure sonic reproduction.
- The front and rear panels are nearly 2" thick & the cabinet incorporates multiple internal braces to ensure total solidity.
- The SuperCube 8000 is finished in piano-gloss black lacquer finish.
- The SuperCube 8000 measures only 15.25" (w) x 16.25" (h) x 17.25" (d). Measurements include rubber-feet & cables.
- The SuperCube 8000 comes with 4 rubber-feet & 4 spiked-feet for safe & secure placement of the powered subwoofer on your carpet or hardwood floors.
- The spiked feet add approximately 0.125" of height to the powered subwoofer.
- There are some general guidelines that you should use when locating the powered subwoofer.
- For best results, place the subwoofer on the same side of the room as your front speakers.
- For maximum output, the subwoofer should be placed in a corner or against the wall, leaving approximately 2" to 4" clearance between the powered subwoofer and the wall(s).
- Corner placement will increase the powered subwoofer's output.
- An acoustic effect called "standing waves" or "room modes" may cause uneven bass at various locations throughout the room.
- This phenomenon is a function of the dimensions of the room and not due to the design of the powered subwoofer.
- To prevent accidental damage to the subwoofer from overdriving the system, the SuperCube 8000 features an internal overload protection circuit, which will turn the subwoofer off or down when overdriven or overheated & will then resume normal operation after a few minutes.
- A complete array of controls allow the SuperCube 8000 to be perfectly integrated with any stereo or multi-channel audio system, and tuned for optimum performance in any room.
- A front-panel LCD alphanumeric character display (red) indicates control settings automatically & turns off when not in use.
- The front-panel LCD indicates Volume level, Crossover frequency, Phase, EQ mode, & Night mode.
- In addition to the SuperCube 8000's rear-panel controls, the powered subwoofer comes with an IR remote control for wireless operation.
- The remote includes Power, Volume, Crossover, Phase, EQ, Night Mode, Mute, & Display controls.
Note: The remote operates off of a single 3V lithium battery (CR2025).
- The SuperCube 8000 features a rear-mounted push-button volume control (0-40).
- This control is used to raise or lower the output level of the subwoofer in relation to the other speaker in your system.
Note: There is also a mute button on the remote control to zero the volume level quickly.
Variable Low-Pass Crossover:
- The Definitive Technology powered subwoofer features a continuous variable low-pass filter control on the back-panel.
- This filter is continuously variable between 40 and 150 Hz. It "rolls-off" (24dB/oct) the high-frequency response of your subwoofer so only low-frequencies below the desired setting will be heard.
- This low-pass filter control is used to obtain the optimum transition between the subwoofer and your main speakers.
Variable Phase Alignment:
- The powered subwoofer features a rear-panel push-button phase control (0/90/180/270-degrees).
- This control is used to perfectly blend the output of your subwoofer with your main speakers to compensate for any possible problems due to placement constraints.
- You can toggle between 4 specific preset equalization settings to suit your music/movie soundtrack or preference.
- EQ1: Maximizes deepest octave bass response at the sacrifice of maximum volume level (good choice for pipe organ & symphonic recordings). This setting should not be used a high volume levels.
- EQ2: Raises relative level of mid-bass frequencies (good choice for hip-hop & rock music, or movie soundtracks with weak bass).
- EQ3: Raises the level of mid- & ultra-low bass frequencies (a great setting for movies when not played at ultra-high volume levels).
- EQ4: The best setting to use when achieving maximum volume levels with minimal distortion is more important than reproducing the lowest frequencies.
- Night Mode applies dynamic range compression to the woofer so that the loudest bass in a movie doesn't get loud enough to wake the parents, kids, or spouse at night.
Auto Turn-On Circuit:
- The powered subwoofer has a special power circuit which automatically turns the powered subwoofer on when a signal is fed to the loudspeaker and turns it off when there is no signal present, so it does not require an on-off switch.
- The red LED on the back panel of the powered subwoofer will light up when a signal is sensed and the amplifier turns on.
- It will automatically turn off with the powered subwoofer, a little while after the signal is discontinued.
Line-Level & Speaker Level Connections:
- The Definitive Technology SuperCube 8000 powered subwoofer has a complete range of inputs & outputs to allow easy and effective hookup to any system.
- Both (high) speaker level & low-level inputs are provided in case you do not have a subwoofer output. In addition, the SuperCube 8000 has a separate direct-in LFE low-level input (which bypasses the crossover network).
- The LFE input on the SuperCube 8000 is a mono-RCA input which is not affected by the subwoofer's low-pass filter or low-pass crossover control.
- It is designed to connect the SuperCube 8000 to a receiver which features a dedicated subwoofer output which features its own low-pass crossover filter.
- If your receiver does not feature a dedicated subwoofer output, but does feature stereo RCA outputs, you can use the SuperCube 8000's stereo RCA low-level inputs (which provide its own dedicated variable low-pass crossover circuit) to connect the subwoofer to your receiver,
Speaker Level In:
- The Speaker Level inputs (5-way binding posts) are designed to be used on receivers or amplifiers that do not incorporate any RCA type subwoofer outputs.
- If your receiver is equipped with an RCA type subwoofer outputs, these speaker level inputs should not be utilized.
- The Definitive Technology SuperCube 8000 features 12V trigger & IR remote inputs.
12V Trigger Input:
- 3.5mm jack which connects to the 12V trigger output of an AV receiver for one-button system turn-on.
- 3.5mm jack used to connect an optional IR remote repeater (sold separately), when the powered subwoofer is hidden & cannot be operated from the included IR remote control.
Detachable AC Power Cord:
- The SuperCube 8000 includes a detachable 7' AC power cord. The SuperCube 8000 must be plugged into a 120V, 60Hz electrical socket (use an unswitched outlet if possible).