Definitive Technology Prosub 1000 Powered Subwoofer
Passive Radiator Design:
- The ProSub 1000 features a 300-watt (RMS) amplifier driving a high-excursion 10-inch front-mounted direct-radiating woofer that is pressure-coupled to a 10-inch low-bass passive radiator on the bottom of the enclosure.
- The net radiating area of the ProSub 1000 is 39% greater than a single 12 inch woofer but with better speed, pitch definition, and control.
PowerField Technology Amplifier:
- The ProSub 1000 incorporates Definitive's proprietary PowerField technology, by which the amplifier is specifically engineered in conjunction with the driver for optimum load matching and power transfer characteristics.
- The Definitive ProSub 1000 powered subwoofer incorporates a unique, patented, digitally-coupled infinite power source amplifier with a high-current direct coupled power supply and discrete MOSFET output devices to ensure perfect high-definition resolution and reproduction of the most dynamic program material and demanding sub-bass transients.
- Construction quality is absolutely state-of-the-art, with only the highest quality components used including mil-spec glass epoxy circuit boards and precision resistors and capacitors for many years of faultless superior performance.
- The powerful, high-definition 10" polymer subwoofer driver is specifically engineered by Definitive Technology to deliver rock-solid low distortion bass, reaching down to the lowest subsonic frequencies (18-150Hz), with superior transient response.
- The special ultra-stiff, low-mass cone (for super-fast transient response) is joined to a specially formulated surround and long-throw voice coil and spider.
- The ultra-rigid basket is engineered to hold the woofer's massive magnet structure and large voice coil in absolute alignment.
- The high temperature voice coil is made of aluminum wound with triple insulated ultra-pure copper wire and baked in epoxy for increased power handling.
- The cabinet of a loudspeaker plays a large part in its sonic performance.
- Resonance and vibration can add unwanted distortion as well as drain away important energy from the system.
- The Definitive Technology ProSub 1000 powered subwoofer utilizes a monocoque cabinet, which has been specifically engineered to be totally inert and vibration free, to ensure you of pure sonic reproduction.
- Monocoque means that the cabinet is of a unitized construction where all panels are permanently joined together into one solid structure.
- The cabinet walls themselves are high-density medite fused together by space-age polymer adhesives.
- The front and rear baffles are extra thick and the cabinet, itself, incorporates multiple internal braces to ensure total solidity.
- The Definitive Technology ProSub 1000 features two protection circuits that ensure that the subwoofer can never be overdriven.
- The ProSub 1000 features four integrated feet with rubber tips so you can place it securely and safely on your home's floor.
- Each foot's height is adjustable to help you place the powered sub on an uneven surface.
- The Definitive Technology powered subwoofer has been designed to operate at frequencies generally below 150 Hz.
- Because low-frequency information in this range essentially is non-directional, your subwoofer can be located anywhere in your listening room that is most convenient.
- Also the continuously variable low-pass filter operate at a very fast roll-off, ensuring great performance wherever you place the subwoofer.
- There are, however, some general rules that you should bear in mind when locating the powered sub.
- For maximum output the subwoofer should be placed in a corner or against the wall.
- Corner placement will increase the subwoofer's efficiency, which in turn will increase your system's maximum output and improve the dynamic capability of the subwoofer.
- The ProSub 1000 features a convenient front-side-mounted volume control that makes adjustments fast and easy.
- This precision level control allows you to perfectly adjust the volume of the subwoofer to match your system and room as well as to fulfill your own personal sonic preferences.
Variable Low-Pass Crossover:
- The Definitive Technology ProSub 1000 powered subwoofer has a continuously adjustable low-pass filter control which allows you to choose a roll-off of from 40 to 150 Hz for the high end of the subwoofer.
- This unique "dual stage" roll-off (24dB/oct) is extremely steep which ensures perfect blending with your main speakers as well as eliminating unwanted midrange from the subwoofer.
- This is especially important because it gives you much greater flexibility in placing your subwoofer in your room without being able to hear where it is located.
- The low-pass crossover is only supported by the powered subwoofer's speaker-level inputs.
Auto Turn-On Circuit:
- The powered subwoofer has a special power circuit which automatically turns the powered subwoofer on when a signal is fed to the loudspeaker and turns it off when there is no signal present, so it does not require an on-off switch.
- The red LED on the back panel of the powered subwoofer will light up when a signal is sensed and the amplifier turns on.
- It will automatically turn off with the powered subwoofer, a little while after the signal is discontinued.
Line-Level & Speaker-Level Connections:
- The Definitive Technology ProSub 1000 powered subwoofer has a complete range of inputs and outputs to allow easy and effective hookup to any system.
- The ProSub 1000 has a separate direct-in LFE low-level input. Speaker-level inputs are provided in case you do not have a subwoofer output.
- The Definitive Technology powered subwoofer has a low-level direct LFE input for Dolby Digital soundtracks, which bypasses the crossover network.
- If you are connecting the subwoofer to an AV receiver without a dedicated subwoofer or LFE preamp output, but does features a stereo RCA output, you will need to use a stereo RCA cable along with an RCA Y-adapter.
- When using the LFE input with a receiver that has an internal x-over, you should set the x-over on the sub to 150Hz.
Speaker Level In:
- The Speaker Level inputs (binding posts) are designed to be used on receivers or amplifiers that do not incorporate any RCA type subwoofer outputs.
- If your receiver is equipped with an RCA type subwoofer outputs, these speaker level inputs should not be utilized.
Speaker Level Output:
- The ProSub 1000 also features speaker level outputs (binding posts), so you can connect your front (main speakers) through the powered subwoofer.
- The ProSub 1000 has a built-in speaker level high-pass crossover preset at 80 Hz (6dB/oct).