Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 Single compact satellite speaker
- The Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 loudspeaker utilizes state-of-the-art components (BDSS driver coupled with a pressure-driven planar low-frequency radiator, a pure aluminum dome tweeter, a uniphase crossover network, and a non-resonant PolyStone cabinet with low diffraction construction) in order to achieve the most lifelike sound possible in your listening room.
- The ProMonitor 800 loudspeaker may be used in a 2.0-channel system as a full-range driver, in a 2.1-channel system as a satellite speaker with a powered subwoofer, or as a satellite speaker in a home theater system.
- Driver Technology
- Enclosure Design
- Mounting Options
Pressure Coupled Radiator Design:
- The ProMonitor satellite provides clear, high-definition sound by pressure-coupling Definitive's exclusive BDSS technology driver to an equal-sized mid/bass radiator cleverly placed on the top of the satellite.
- This technique doubles the lower-midrange radiating area of the speaker without increasing the size of the enclosure.
- The result is a warm and life-like sound.
- Definitive Technology's Balanced Double Surround System (BDSS) driver offers a wide-bandwidth accurate frequency response, broad dispersion, low distortion, and detail retrieval; so you hear more the music with greater accuracy and enjoyment.
- BDSS drivers incorporate the following design features.
- The speaker's balanced double surrounds support the cone at two points to provide better mechanical stability for longer, more linear excursion, and improved damping to suppress parasitic cone resonance.
- The ProMonitor 800 features a deeply drawn mineral-filled polymer cone engineered using sophisticated 3D modeling techniques for wide range performance.
- The cone's integrated waveguide smoothes off-axis response for broad, even dispersion and better imaging.
- The driver's high temperature, oversized, lightweight vented voice coil offers improved power handling and quick transient response.
- The voice coil is also lengthened to increase linearity and lower distortion.
- The driver's magnetic system is optimized by finite element analysis to maximize magnetic flux in the gap for high efficiency and linear excursion.
- The die-cast alloy basket minimizes ringing and vibration while the open area minimizes back wave reflection.
- The Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 features a 4-1/2" BDSS driver coupled to a 4-1/2" pressure-driven planar low-frequency radiator, and a 1" pure aluminum dome tweeter.
- The ProMonitor 800 loudspeakers will sound good right out of the box; however, an extended break-in period of 20-40 hours or more of playing is required to reach full performance capability.
- The break-in period allows the suspensions to work in and results in full bass, a more open midrange, and smoother high frequency reproduction.
Non-Resonant PolyStone Cabinet:
- The Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 uses a non-resonant PolyStone cabinet with low diffraction construction.
- The speaker cabinet is available in a high-gloss black or white finish. The speaker's cabinet features a removable cloth grille.
- The ProMonitor 800 is equipped with a pair of gold-plated, 5-way binding posts to attach your receiver's speaker wire.
- The Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 loudspeakers may be placed on a stand or shelf, or mounted on the wall or ceiling.
- The ProMonitor 800 features a pedestal foot which allows it to fit securely and safely on a stand or shelf.
- The attached pedestal foot can be removed to mount the speaker to Definitive Technology's matching speaker stand (ProStand, sold separately) or to wall-mount the speaker.
- The ProMonitor 800 can be wall-mounted using the rear-panel keyhole slot. In addition, there is a 1/4"-20 threaded insert on the back of the speaker so you can use Definitive Technology's optional mounting bracket (ProMount 80, sold separately), or other manufacture bracket (sold separately) to hang the speaker on a wall or ceiling.
- There is a insert plug included which covers the hole in the bottom of the speaker which you will see after you remove the pedestal foot when wall-mounting the speaker.
- When used as front speakers, the ProMonitor 800s should usually be placed 6 to 8 feet apart and kept away from the side walls and corners.
- When used as rear speakers, take care never to locate the speakers forward of the listeners.
- The ProMonitor 800s may be angled in towards the listening position or left parallel with the rear wall according to your personal listening taste.
- Normally, angling the speakers in so that they point directly at the listeners will result in more detail and greater clarity.