Definitive Technology Mythos SSA-42 Passive 5-Channel Home Theater Sound Bar
- Experience sensational sonic performance that seemingly disappears into walls and ceilings.
- Dt series speakers were developed from the ground up with the highest quality materials. Clear, natural sound springs from high definition drivers, as acoustically optimized tweeters reveal the most delicate of details.
- All while wafer-thin grilles hide in plain sight. Each component specifically selected to maximize performance.
Surround sound to believe in
- Envelop your home in rich, high performance sound from built-in speakers that won’t encroach on your living space.
- Choose from a wide variety of dt series single stereo and surround loudspeakers to create a complete stealth home theater experience.
- The Definitive Technology Mythos Solo Surround Array 42 (SSA-42) is a unique multichannel loudspeaker that provides a 5-channel surround sound experience from just one speaker.
- The Definitive Technology SSA-42 is the perfect surround audio solution when you are unable or unwilling to wire and place rear channel speakers in your room, but still want a home theater experience.
- The SSA-42 uses Definitive Technology's best drivers and tweeters for audiophile-grade sound quality so you can enjoy enveloping surround sound from a single speaker.
- The Mythos Solo Surround Array 42 features five discrete channels to connect to your 5.1-channel Dolby Digital receiver, so you don't need to run wire to five separate speakers.
- The Mythos SSA-4 can be wall- or shelf-mounted using the supplied hardware.
- Driver Technology
- Enclosure Design
- Mounting OptionsA
- The Definitive Technology Mythos SSA-42 incorporates Spatial Array, a unique patented technology that optimizes the spatial presentation of five-channels to create the illusion that you are surrounded by five separate high-performance speakers.
- Spatial Array Surround technology uses subtle, but complex directional cues to completely free the sound from the speaker enclosure and convince your ear/brain listening mechanism that you are surrounded multiple speakers.
- Since Spatial Array technology does not depend on bouncing sound off walls, it works in virtually any room and set-up configuration.
- The SSA-42 uses Spatial Array technology on the front left and right speakers as well as the surround channels, so that you get big three-dimensional imaging from both stereo and multi-channel sources.
BDSS Driver Technology:
- The Front left, Front right, and Center channel drivers of the SSA-42 utilize Definitive's exclusive and patent-pending Balanced Dual Surround System (BDSS) technology.
- Speaker cones usually have one support point at the circumference of the cone (called the surround), but BDSS drivers have two support points or surrounds.
- This design suppresses cone resonance and promotes a longer, more linear cone motion for higher output, lower distortion and more accurate frequency response.
- As a result you will enjoy perfectly natural and lifelike timbre with crystalline clarity on voices, musical instruments ,and movie sound effects, even at high-volume levels.
Pure Aluminum Dome Tweeter:
- The Definitive Technology SSA-42's tweeter is a pure aluminum dome, which has been heat-treated to relax the crystal structure and then coated with a ceramic to produce extended highs.
- In order to keep the enclosure from being longer than popular sized video displays, Definitive engineers positioned the front channel tweeters in front of the drivers.
- While this is a commonly used space-saving technique, a tweeter placed in front of the driver usually interferes with the driver's sound waves.
- Using computer and physical modeling, Definitive engineers developed unique tweeter-housing geometry and venting that eliminates interference effects for audiophile-grade clarity, precision, and accuracy.
- The Definitive Technology Solo Surround Array 42 features three 3-1/4" BDSS drivers with axially-aligned 3/4" pure aluminum dome tweeters; two 3-1/4" BDSS high-output full-range drivers, and four 3" full-range high-output surround drivers.
- The Mythos SSA-42 will sound good right out of the box; however, an extended break-in period of 20-40 hours or more of playing is required to reach full performance capability.
- The break-in period allows the suspensions to work in and results in full bass, a more open midrange, and smoother high frequency reproduction.
Extruded Aluminum Enclosure:
- The SSA-42's enclosure is fabricated from aircraft-grade, hand-polished gloss black extruded aluminum, styled to perfectly match today's flat panel plasma and LCD TVs.
- Internal baffles and braces inside the enclosure eliminate interference effects between drivers and channels for true audiophile purity and maximum channel separation.
5-Way Binding Posts:
- The SSA-42 is equipped with 5 pairs (Front left, Front right, Center, Rear right, Rear left) of gold-plated, 5-way binding posts to attach your 5.1-channel home theater receiver's speaker wire.
- The Mythos Solo Surround Array 42 is designed for horizontal use only. The 5-channel loudspeaker can be positioned below or above your flat-panel television.
- The SSA-42 matches perfectly with 42-inch and larger flat-panel televisions.
- The Definitive Technology SSA-42 comes with easy-to-install mounting hardware that allow it to mount on the wall above or below your television.
- The Mythos SSA-42 comes with a wall mount bracket that allows direct mounting to a wall.
- The SSA-42 can also be mounted directly to select flat-panel TV swing out arm-style wall mounts, so that the speaker angle changes with the TV angle.
- It also includes hardware that allows you to place the speaker on the TV, on a shelf , or on a table-top (surface must be at least 5-inches deep).
- The Mythos Solo Surround Array 42 comes with two brackets and two feet which screw into the speaker's wall-mount bracket to stabilize the speaker and allows you to adjust the vertical angle when the system is placed on a flat horizontal surface.
- When you set the speaker down, the speaker will lean back and rest on these feet.
- By varying how far you screw in-and-out the feet, you can adjust the vertical angle of the speaker.
- It is recommended that you aim the center-speaker so that it aims directly towards the height of the listeners' ears.